[mythtv-users] SMARTD reports a drive issue with a MythTV Storage drive

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Sun Jan 20 11:49:21 UTC 2013

Ben Kamen wrote:
> So SMARTD reported to me this morning that last night (probably
> recording a show):
>
> CurrentPendingSector bumped up from 0 to 1
>
> and
>
> OfflineUncorrectableSector bumped up from 0 to 1.
>
> I run 2 drives for Myth but NOT in a RAID. So 1/2 of my TV recordings
> are on one drive.
>
> What's the best method for backing this drive up so myth doesn't complain?

Are you sure you need to replace that disk because of one (1) faulty
sector? Modern hard disks have enough spare sectors to remap a few
faulty sectors and mark them and this what might have happened already
(OfflineUncorrectableSector). Does this sector still show as pending or
did Reallocated_Sector_Ct increase by 1?

You might want to keep an eye on the amount of faulty sectors, but I
wouldn't replace that drive yet.