[mythtv-users] Double logging?

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 01:13:46 UTC 2013

On Nov 23, 2012 7:10 PM, "DaveD" <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/2012 12:10 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>>
>> On 11/21/2012 11:00 PM, DaveD wrote:
>>>
>>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --logpath /var/log/mythtv
>>>
>>> As the ps output revealed, it is being started WITHOUT --syslog.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a build option that can cause this?
>>

>> Hi;
>>
>> But, take a look at:
>>
>>   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration
>>
>> Especially these 3 lines:
>>
>>     # Systemd sends stdout to syslog, and mythbackend has console
logging enabled without --daemon.
>>     # Send stdout to /dev/null so console logging doesn't go to syslog
>>     StandardOutput=null
>>
>> I'm a *buntu person, but it looks like what you're talking about. I
suspect using --quiet
>> on the command line would also work. In other words, stop sending to
stdio so redirection
>> to /dev/null isn't needed.
>

> Thanks, again, to Mr Meek.  To be concise, here are the steps needed to
eliminate double logging to syslog from mythbackend on Fedora 17:

> Add the following two lines to
/usr/lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service:

> # to supress output to STDOUT, which spams syslog
> StandardOutput=null
>
> Then, repeat as necessary every time you update/upgrade MythTV.  If
someone has a more persistent solution, I would love to hear it.

> Dave D.

Copy the service file to /etc/systemd/system and make your changes there.
This overrides the stock files in /usr/lib. Use systemd-delta to show your
config changes after restoring the original.