[mythtv-users] OT: HDHomeRun DLNA beta firmware is out

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:19:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Preston Crow <pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/18/2013 02:39 PM, Mario Limonciello wrote:
>>>
>>> from #hdhomerun today
>>>
>>> 13:31:31<•jludka>  someone needs to get around to putting tuner locking
>>> in myth
>>> 13:31:58<rhpot1991>  jludka: hmm that sounds like !fun, no way of
>>> restricting it to a single tuner?
>>> 13:32:09<•jludka>  no
>>> 13:32:20<•jludka>  i believe it will always default to the lowest
>>> non-locked tuner
>>> 13:32:52<superm1>  so the HDHR report tuner usage and myth just isn't
>>> taking and of that info into account right now
>>> 13:33:37<•jludka>  the hdhomerun hardware allows for the software
>>> using it to lock the tuner to prevent accidental takeovers
>>> 13:33:55<•jludka>  for whatever reason, no one ever actually
>>> implemented that in myth
>>> 13:34:21<•jludka>  someone should bribe danielk to write it
>>>
>>> So danielk what will you accept as bribes? :)
>>

>> If I'm following that, the DLNA viewer will use the lowest-numbered tuner
>> that isn't locked.  So to make it mostly work with Myth, you can set the
>> tuner priority in Myth to be stronger for the higher-numbered tuners.  Of
>> course, proper tuner locking would be much better.
>

> So if that's possible, then one could tell Myth to use two tuners on the
> HDHR, keeping them locked at all times? Then the DLNA client could use the
> one available tuner? That seems feasible to somebody like me who just wants
> to watch live tv on his iPad while in the kitchen and has no other solution
> at the moment.

I'm already using a PS3 to browse non premium recordings from MythTV
via UPNP on a TV without a myth box hooked up.  For those times that
i'd like to watch a premium channel on that same TV, I suddenly have a
way now.

>> As a side note, the forum at SiliconDust indicates that DLNA mode only
>> works for people registered in the beta program, so is that misleading, or
>> is there more to setting it up than just loading the beta firmware?
>

> I saw that too and I'm not sure. I'm on their mailing list and that's how I
> had heard about the new firmware, and the email implied that I could already
> get the DLNA streaming, but it's pretty vague and confusing at this point
> and I don't know if I want to break Mythtv to find out.

Registering for the beta is just a matter of putting in your device ID
on the beta website.  Once you flash the beta firmware it does a web
check to see if your device is included in the beta.  If so, it turns
on DLNA.