[mythtv-users] Live TV with the myth:// URI scheme - feature request sanity check

Patrick Archibald patrick.archibald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 16:57:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Patrick Archibald
<patrick.archibald at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Mario Limonciello
> <mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a way to avoid the desktop file showing up though in
>> Unity/XFCE/Gnome?  So it just provides the URI handler and nothing more.
>>

> Mario
>
> The /usr/share/applications/mythhandler.desktop file is only created
> so the update-desktop-database command associates mythavtest with
> myth://.
>
> I assume you could delete /usr/share/applications/mythhandler.desktop
> after running update-desktop-database. I have not tried that. You
> don't see mythhandler.desktop anywhere but in the directory listing
> for /usr/share/applications.
>
> Thanks, PLA

Mario,

The icon I'm clicking on in the Unity Launcher is another desktop file
I created for the MythTV Gadget app. It is not necessary. You could
run it from the command line.

Below are the contents of the desktop file
~/.local/share/applications/MythTVGadget.desktop shown in the Unity
Launcher:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=MythTV Gadget
Comment=Review upcoming and recording. Launch MythTV viewer on records.
Exec=/home/htplainf/bin/MythTVGadget
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=mythtv
Categories=utility
StartupNotify=true
Name[en_US]=MythTV Gadget

Contents of /home/htplainf/bin/MythTVGadget are:

#!/bin/bash
/home/htplainf/node-webkit-v0.3.7-linux-x64/nw
/home/htplainf/MythTVGadget/MythTVGadget.nw

Thanks, PLA