[mythtv-users] SMARTD reports a drive issue with a MythTV Storage drive

david.scott.day at gmail.com david.scott.day at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:45:45 UTC 2013

Assuming you have a spare SATA port in this machine, start with your 3rd
step more or less.

1.  Don't shut down myth just yet.  The family may continue to use it.
2.  Add the new drive and format/configure as needed.
3.  Rsync files from the old drive to the new drive.  This will take
up to several hours or more, and since myth is still running, it may be a slightly imperfect copy. No matter, we will fix that soon enough.
4.  Now, once rsync is done, wait until you have some time (I don't
know, say a half hour or an hour between recordings and no one who wants
to watch TV during that time.
5.  Now do the rsync again.  This time it will only have to sync the
diffs between the now nearly identical drives and therefore you have
minimized your down time.
6.  Fix up /etc/fstab.  Unmount the drives and remount the new in place of the old.
7.  Restart myth.

I am in the process of doing this right now.  I am waiting on the first
rsync.

Cheers,
Dave