[mythtv-users] Transcoding of imported files?

Frank Feuerbacher fbacher at brisbin.net
Wed Jan 16 22:36:51 UTC 2013

On 1/16/2013 4:27 PM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Frank Feuerbacher
> <fbacher at brisbin.net <mailto:fbacher at brisbin.net>> wrote:
>
>     We want to transcode all of our TCM movies to h.264 using
>     Handbrake. I found a script for doing that which I will alter for
>     our needs (I'm not afraid of scripts, but I'm no Perl expert).
>
>     All of the documentation that I have found so far talk about
>     transcoding recorded files. But I have a bunch of .ts files (with
>     mpeg-2 1080i content) that I want to run through Handbrake.
>
>     Is there a way to tell MTV to do this for me
>
> You probably can, and someone else will need to respond with how, but
> in my (limited) experience the below seems more straight forward.
>
>     , or do I need to use handbrake externally before I import the
>     movies into MythTV?
>

> The way I see this is that you are moving the files from something or
> somewhere into a mythTV video library folder.  Since they are going to
> be imported into the database by scanning, I don't know why you
> wouldn't do everything with an external script before even getting
> mythTV to scan for new files.
>
> But, if you don't like my answer someone else will tell you a
> different one in a few minutes.
>
> Jeremy

I am being lazy. I have a backlog of files created by NextPVR running on
a machine too slow to encode. I am still trimming some of them. Now that
I have my new faster box set up and I am about to switch between using
NextPVR to Myth. So I now have a conundrum: if I am capturing and
encoding movies with mythtv while I still have some that need to be
encoded outside if mythtv I either have to deal with two Handbrake
sessions going on simultaneously on the same box. Or, I have to write
some fancy script to do queuing. The new box can do about 12 movies/day
with the settings I have chosen. My old machines can do about 2. I think
I have ~50 movies in the backlog. I will also get more if I rip DVDs.

Perhaps there is not much of a penalty for doing simultaneous handbrakes
on a 4cpu 3.4Ghz 16G machine. I'll do some checking.