[mythtv-users] Attempt to record program on the wrong input?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jan 16 16:11:37 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 10:56 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:

>>> That makes a lot of sense, except that the 3 video sources are
>>> identical
>>> (apart from the name)?  That's where I have a problem - until a
>>> receiver has been attached to an EIT video source, the video source
>>> is
>>> meaningless, right?  After it has something attached, I can reuse the
>>> video source for other receivers on the same satellite.
>>>
>>> I've named my inputs after which LNB they're connected to.
>>>
>>> However, something is still wrong - I can't get to watch any of the
>>> Astra1 channels on my slave backend.  When I pick something on Astra1
>>> from the EPG, the mythtvfrontend just exits.
>>>
>> No. A video source is /channels/ not /EIT/. Therefore, since you can't
>> possibly tune the same list of channels from the three satellites, you
>> need three unique sources (lists of channels). They are /not/
>> identical.
> Okay.  It's still confusing though - when I set up a new "Video Source"
> with mythtvsetup, and say "Listings Grabber" = EIT, they're sure _look_
> identical?  Anyway, my problem.

What they're trying to say is that a Video Source is a list of all the
channels available on an input (and /only/ the channels available on
that input) as well as the tuning information for that channel.  It is
simply the list of channels the input is allowed to use and how to tune
them.

Tuning information could be what frequency identifier to specify and
what channel change script to use to tune an STB to the channel for an
analog encoder hooked to an STB.  It could be what frequency to use to
tune the channel and the program information specifying where within a
mux to find the channel for a digital tuner.  In other words, it's the
specific information required for the specific method used to tune the
channel from the specific source (STB, OTA, satellite, cable, ...).  The
Video Source actually has nothing to do with a program listings source
(EIT or XMLTV or Schedules Direct)--although it allows you to specify
one program listings source to use with the channels in the Video
Source.  The same program listings source can be reused by multiple
Video Sources if they have channels with identical content within
them--even if the channels are received from different transmissions.

>> The mythtv frontend should never "just exit" when you select any
>> channel. This is a different issue you'll have to supply more
>> information for. We'll need to see frontend and backend logs covering
>> the incident and, probably, the whole log from startup, particularly
>> for the backend.
> As it turns out, it is the frontend segfaulting. Just in case, I'm right
> now applying a list of updates on the laptop, I'll see if that "fixes"
> it.

That's definitely the best thing to do first.  Updating to current
0.25-fixes just may fix it for you.

Mike