[mythtv-users] Attempt to record program on the wrong input?

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Wed Jan 16 14:32:00 UTC 2013

Mike Perkins wrote:

> On 16/01/13 08:43, Per Jessen wrote:
>> Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> If you were using XMLTV data, that would be correct, since
>>> mythfilldatabase would be running on the master backend, and would
>>> your grabbers would need to be installed and selected on your master
>>> backend. With EIT, it doesn't really matter, but it's still good
>>> practice to do everything that can be done on the master, on the
>>> master.

>>> This would be video source one, and you would only need to scan once
>>> for these four inputs.
>>
>> Okay, for these I have a video source named "vidsource1" = EIT data.
>> Until now, I have always scanned both receivers though, is MythTV
>> able to work with just one channel scan and now that the same
>> channels are also available on card#1 ?

>>> This would be video source two, and you would need to scan for
>>> channels independently of the first video source.
>>
>> Okay, I have now configured (very imaginatively) "vidsource2" = EIT
>> and
>> attached to BE2:card0.  The channel scan is running now.

>>> This would again be a third video source, scanned independently from
>>> the other two.
>>
>> Okay. I would previously have used just "vidsource1" = EIT.
>>
>>> Without running separate video sources for your separate services,
>>> MythTV has no way of knowing your second backend couldn't access
>>> channels from Astra2.
>>
>> Many thanks for helping with this Raymond.
>>

> A video source is a list of tuning information for a bunch of
> channels. Therefore, if two tuners can tune the same channels, then
> you don't need to scan twice, just attach them to the same source.

Yep, I understand that now.

> You might make your configuration a little less error-prone if you
> called your sources "Astra1", "Astra2" and "Hotbird". They are only
> identification strings, after all, and giving them relevant names will
> help avoid mistakes in the future, when you have forgotten what you
> originally did.

That makes a lot of sense, except that the 3 video sources are identical
(apart from the name)?  That's where I have a problem - until a
receiver has been attached to an EIT video source, the video source is
meaningless, right?  After it has something attached, I can reuse the
video source for other receivers on the same satellite.

I've named my inputs after which LNB they're connected to.

However, something is still wrong - I can't get to watch any of the
Astra1 channels on my slave backend.  When I pick something on Astra1
from the EPG, the mythtvfrontend just exits.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.2°C)