[mythtv-users] Question about logrotate

Stephan Seitz stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net
Mon Jan 14 21:06:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 06:54:27PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>If you're using syslog, you don't need to HUP mythlogserver. We only
>show the one configuration since HUP'ing mythlogserver shouldn't cause
>any issues, and it's easier than having multiple configurations to
>maintain/explaining to users how to know which one to use/...

I thought so. Thanks for your answer. But HUP’ing the mythlogserver may
cause issues. At least for the packages from the Debian multimedia
repository the logrotate configuration file belongs to the package
mythlogserver. It looks mostly like the example from the wiki including
the „su mythtv” line. My frontend is using syslog for logging, but is not
running as mythtv user. So logrotate tries to HUP the mythlogserver as
mythtv user without the permission to HUP it which is causing error
mails.
At least for the frontend side I don’t have problems without HUP’ing
mythlogserver. I will test it on the backend, but here the HUP’ing
doesn’t cause any problems even if it is useless.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse at fsing.rootsland.net |