[mythtv-users] Sending photos/videos from android to myth

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Jan 13 20:39:38 UTC 2013

On android devices, when you are looking at a photo or a video (and
probably a lot of other stuff too) in an app like Gallery, there is
usually an icon in the menu bar that looks sort of like a
connect-the-dots that allows you to send the current photo/video to
another device/service. For instance, you can send the photo you are
looking at to a facebook/google+ post, to another bluetooth device, to
your Picassa gallery, etc. Well, I was trying to figure out some way I
could hack things up so that I could also send these from my android
deice to mythtv to display on the TV. The idea being, say I've got a
few people over, and I want to show them a video from my phone. If I
could send it to the TV, then everyone doesn't need to crowd around a
tiny screen, or take turns watching.

So I'm looking for any suggestions on how to do this. I'm pretty sure
there's no native way to do this, right? Is anyone aware of any linux
apps meant to deal with this? If so, I could just launch it as an
external command from a custom menu item and then send it. I tried
searching for it, but couldn't find anything. It might help if I
actually knew what the proper name for this android feature is, but I
don't. Since android can send over bluetooth, perhaps there's a linux
app that is made for this sort of bluetooth thing? Though I'd prefer
wifi so I don't have to buy and configure a bluetooth adapter on my
frontends.

So short of that, the next best thing I can think of would be to hack
it up a bit. I could use a program line AndSMB or AndFTP to just send
the file via a file transfer to a preconfigured folder and then using
the photos or videos sections of myth to view it. The downside to that
you then have to manually launch it, which requires rescanning the
library (at least in video...not sure about photo). I had thought
about configuring something to monitor the filesystem and then
autolaunch it when a new file is detected. I see there is a linux
package called incron which can handle this sort of stuff nicely. I
figure I could use incron to run a script with connects to myth via
the network control port and then launches it. That's easy enough for
videos, but I can't seem to see a way to do that for photos.

So anyone have any ideas how to go about this? The cleaner the better,
but if ugly hacks are necessary, I'll take what I can get. Worst case
I figure maybe use the above idea for video and then find some app
that can convert a still photo (or several of them) into an mpg
slideshow.

--
Ron Frazier