[mythtv-users] Incorrect characters in the EPG and program name

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Jan 13 19:56:07 UTC 2013

On 13.01.2013 19:58, spst wrote:
> Hi,
> I started to know MythTV a few months ago. I successfully installed on
> opensuse 12.1 64 bit from packman repo. I have many questions because
> Google has't helped me, yet but these aren't important.
>
> I first installed the mythtv 0.24, but now I'm trying 0.26. I have a
> problem what is same for each version what I tried. EPG and program name
> encoding. I use a DVB-C card to watch cable tv on Hungary but character
> encoding is wrong. Hungarian words with accented letters can't be read.

Sometimes providers don't signal the character encoding properly.

 > How can I fix it?

You have to look at the raw data and check what they are signaling
http://dvbsnoop.sourceforge.net/examples/example-eit.html
then look at which encoding they really use and add a fixup for it
to MythTV at
http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/eithelper.cpp#n991
(notice all the EITFixUp::kEFixForceISO8859_*)

The fixes are keyed off the original_network_id, transport_id and/or
service_id.
If *all* services have identical wrong signaling its just one simply
entry. It gets complicated if that is not the case
(see the link above :)

Regards,
Karl

PS: I'm not sure we can easily fix the channel name encoding.