[mythtv-users] Q on channel setup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 13 18:46:13 UTC 2013

On 01/13/2013 01:03 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 13/01/13 16:58, Thor wrote:
>> good day all,
>>
>> I am a little confused. did try a search, but seems I miss the
>> correct search
>> wording.
>>
>> I am running myth with a dvb-c tuner perfectly fine for a year or so.
>> now i
>> wanted to add a second tuner, but the challenge is that I only have
>> one single
>> cam. the tuner with cam can tune say a hundred channels, the one
>> without say
>> twenty of them ( a subset).
>>
>> how can I tell myth the situation ? when I setup a new source, it
>> makes me one
>> channel appear twice in the epg. thats not nice, and scheduling a task.
>>
>> the easiest would be to tell myth that the new tuner should only use
>> unencrypted
>> channels. but how ?
>>
>> please advise
>>
> You need two sources, one for the tuner with all the channels, and
> another for just the channels you can get without the CAM. When you
> schedule a recording, myth will do the right thing when the channel
> can be received by both tuners.

Exactly, 2 MythTV Video Sources--which can both use the exact same XMLTV
listings source.  The MythTV Video Source is the list of all the
channels that can be tuned by an input--and only the channels that can
be tuned by the input--along with their tuning information.  So, just
create one that's called "All channels" or "CAM channels" or ... and one
that's called "Unencrypted channels" or "Clear Channels" or ... and make
connect the appropriate Video Source to the appropriate input (depending
on whether the input is using the CAM or not).

Mike