[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.26 records live TV without being told to do so

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Jan 11 17:37:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> You're better off with
>> the current system and telling it to only keep live tv for 1 day.
>

> Keep it for 1 day or 10 billion...  The difference is irrelevant.  (Granted,
> we only allow you to specify a value between 1 and 7 days, so you're
> unlikely to keep it 10 billion days.)

I was just talking for his sanity. If it absolutely nags at him to
have his disk "full" then 1 day will help with that.

And there certainly are reasons why it's useful not to have myth fill
up drives. For instance, when I want to copy over a 50GB bluray rip to
my mythbox, and the samba transfer happens at a faster rate than myth
cleans up with the slow-delete option. My solution to that is to just
bump up the amount of free space myth leaves. That solves the problem,
at the expense of myth not being able to use that extra space if it
REALLY needs it. I don't let that worry me too much, because 50GB
isn't much on a 3TB drive.

It's also handy to get rid of live TV as fast as possible for the sake
of knowing how much disk is free. When you've got a ton of live tv
sitting around, it's hard to know just how much space really is left
on your drive. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just look at the
size of the LiveTV storage group folder, but unfortunately that
contains not just liveTV, but actual recordings too*** (both scheduled
recordings where it uses an in-use tuner, and LiveTV where you decide
to record it). You can pull that info from the web interface, but it's
not so handy for accessing from monitoring/alert scripts.

*** Speaking of which, is there a good way to clean that up...to find
all recordings that are stored in the LiveTV storage group and move
them to another storage group, so that LiveTV truly only contains live
tv?

--
Ron Frazier