[mythtv-users] after pause screen turns black when resuming hd movie

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 09:10:38 UTC 2013

2013/1/11 Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn at gmail.com>:
> 2013/1/9 Rob Verduijn <rob.verduijn at gmail.com>:

>>> And have you tried turning off the Composite X extension?
>>>
>>> Mike

>> Hello,
>>
>> I triple checked all settings.
>>
>> mythtv version : 0.25.3 (0.26 is not an option due to livetv bug for ivtv cards)
>> videocard : nvidia gt 520 with binary driver 304.64
>> I use vdpau since it is not possible to watch hd on my frontend
>> without it. (unless you like slide shows with audio)
>> composit is off and color depth is 24 bits
>> distro : opensuse 12.2 x86_64
>>
>> when watching a video.mkv file in HD (1080p) the screen turns black
>> while audio continues when resuming a paused movie or when changing
>> aspect ratio of the video.
>>
>> I used to be able to watch HD movies without the screen turning black
>> I do not know what the version was that introduced this problem, my
>> guess is 0.25.1 but it could also be 0.25
>>
>> Rob
>
> I've been googling for days now, and all I've come up with is :
> * xorg.conf
>   color depth at 24
>   disable composite
> * playback profile
>   - remove vdpaucolorspace=auto from the vdpau profile
>
> none of these in any combination have worked for me
> The screen still goes black when changing aspect ratio or resuming after pause.
>
> Does anybody have any other hints or ideas ?
>
> Rob

Finally found it.

What works fixing the black screen :

Upgrading the nvidia driver from 304.64 to 310.19

Composit is back on in xorg (works fine for my gt520 on opensuse 12.2 x86_64 )
Colordepth is at 24
Default filters used with the vdpau high profile (ie remove all
settings and start over)

so:
nvidia driver release 304.64 is bad (easy to install and update rpm
driver from nvidia for opensuse)
nvidia driver release 310.19 is good (manual to download and compile
binary driver from nvidia)

damn.....took me long enough
Rob