[mythtv-users] android playback without HLS?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 8 01:27:08 UTC 2013

On 8/01/2013 4:19 a.m., Eric Sharkey wrote:
> I blame Google and/or Stephen Elop somewhat equally for this mess.
> Nokia had a Linux based phone/tablet OS called Maemo which took the
> approach that the phone/tablet was really a portable computer.  It had
> a full Linux environment on it and ran X11 for graphics.  Linux
> software ported to Maemo easily, and the regular linux MythTV frontend
> was ported to it (google MaemoMyth).  The tablets of the day weren't
> really powerful enough to pull this off very well, but this approach
> is really what you want here.  The full mythtv frontend just like it
> would be on a laptop/PC, but on a tablet.
>
> Today, we have the hardware, but the new Nokia CEO Stephen Elop has
> killed off all support for Maemo, having drunk the Microsoft Kool-Aid
> big time.

I understand maemo more or less morphed into Tizen that Samsung is
planning to run with 2013.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-shows-up-on-companys-website-smartphone-to-run-tizen-os-87854/

{ OT: The S4 looks pretty cool also, if the video is reliable...}

It might get interesting if Tizen can be back ported to existing devices?