[mythtv-users] mythbuntu: help with HID device and remapping

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 23:40:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a HID device type remote. It seems pretty much an ideal remote
control. Unfortunately many of the keys are mapped to keys that are not the
typical/default mapping for Myth. Worse infact where as I know the Myth
keys, and in the main they are fairly logical, the mapping of this remote
is pretty illogical.

It seems some apps (because the network protocol effectively pushes keys in
places rather than completes tasks) requires certain key mapping, or have I
got this wrong.

To get this remote working I thought I would use LIRC to capture the
device. I have sstumbled across xkb and this wiki page.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Generic_HID_%22MCE%22_Remotes#XKB_Remapping

is this a better approach and why?

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on my myth systems but I am using my laptop which
is on 12.10 to try this out.

The remote is a motorola nyxboard, a dual sided remote.
http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/images/thumbs/0000229.png

Which appears as three devices to X. A mouse and two keyboards (I guess one
for each side of the remote).

$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                     id=2 [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer               id=4 [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   id=15 [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Motorola Motorola NYXboard, 2.4GHz device id=11 [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad               id=13 [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             id=5 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                             id=6 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               id=7 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                             id=8 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard             id=12 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                   id=14 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Motorola Motorola NYXboard, 2.4GHz device id=9 [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Motorola Motorola NYXboard, 2.4GHz device id=10 [slave  keyboard (3)]

I cant make head-nor-tail of the wiki page or many other documents I have
read on xkb. Any help would be appreciated.

as an example of what I need to map. turning the remote over sends
characters:
turning from remote to keyboard generates a ~ (tilde) in a terminal
turning keyboard to remote generates ;5~
vol+ generates a vol+ that ubuntu operates the hardware volume with
back generates a backspace
info adds a bookmark (when in google chrome)

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Thanks and regards,

Richard Morton