[mythtv-users] MobileMyth Web Frontend Released!

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 05:32:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-04, at 5:42 PM, Michael Watson <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> Developers, as more frontends emerge that take advantage of the HLS streaming, it would be ideal if the transcode jobs ran through the jobqueue, so slave backends take on some of the transcoding work, possibly with a higher priority than user jobs and transcoding.

The near-term plan is to do away with transcode jobs and move to on-demand transcoding. The problem now is with most/all players you have to wait for the transcode to complete before you can skip around. The change will have myth presenting recordings to clients as fully transcoded but only generating the streams as clients ask for them. So, if you were watching a late night show you might watch the monologue and then jump ahead 30 minutes to the one guest you're interested in and myth would only transcode those parts. No more end-to-end transcoding.

It's kinda cool.

Oh, I'm not the one doing the work, search the archives for Chris Pinkham and HLS to read more details from the man himself.

- George