[mythtv-users] Free-to-Air Satellite Service

Raymond Boettcher raymondboettcher at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 22:36:31 UTC 2013

I just recently got 2 Satellite Dish's that were originally used for Dish Network and was debating on using them to setup Free-to-air Satellite Service at my house.  However, it seems that there are a few different formats that are used for Satellite.  But according to what I have researched it seems I need a DVB-S2 Tuner/Decoder card in order to make this work.  I just wanted to know if there was anyone here that is also using Free-to-air Satellite Service that has managed to make this work with MythTV (in the US).

I found a website that talks about this very extensively, but it seems they are not from the United States.  They also recommended a few S2 Cards that work flawlessly with Linux/MythTV, so I'm considering buying one of those tuner cards to expand my MythTV Channel Service.  I just want to make sure that a S2 Card is what I should be using in the United States.

I was also looking through Schedules Direct and it doesn't seem that Free-to-air is listed as one of the options, however, several other satellite providers are listed and one of them looks like one of the providers for Free-to-air.  However, I know that Free-to-air does transmit EPG Data over their stream and hopefully I'm right in assuming that leaving the tuner set to EIT Scan will also work with a Satellite Tuner Card as well.

Thanks for your help,
Raymond Boettcher