[mythtv-users] Using MythTV 'offline'?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 4 12:21:09 UTC 2013

On 04/01/13 11:00, PlainFaceBoy wrote:
>> On 12/28/2012 09:01 AM, PlainFaceBoy wrote:
>>> Hi - I've got mythtv working fine (version 0.25/fixes with Ubuntu 12.04
>>> 64bit), front and back end both on the same machine, but I have to have
>>> my router switched on else I get the message; 'Could not connect to the
>>> master backend server. Is it running? Is the IP address set for it in
>>> mythtv-setup correct?' Is this normal? IP address in backend is
>>> 127.0.0.1. If I switch my router on, and restart all is fine and it
>>> connects and my recordings appear etc. Not a huge problem, but as they're
>>> both in one box shouldn't I be able to use mythtv "offline" - is there
>>> something I can do to fix this? Thanks
>>
>> It's your system's network management code "shutting down" networking when
>> your router is gone. You'll have to fix it there. Mike
>
> Why not set a static IP for the box, and point to that?
>

> Could it be that MySQL is either not listening on 127.0.0.1 and/or MySQL
> permissions are rejecting logins from 127.0.0.1, but accepting from
> 192.168.x.x?
>
> To check what address the MySQL daemon is listening on (from Bash): bash$
> sudo netstat -npl | grep 3306
>
> To check what address the mythtv MySQL user is allowed to connect to MySQL on
> (from MySQL prompt):
>
> Post the results of the above commands here, if you're unsure.

> I've checked the last suggestion below and it is listening on 127.0.0.1. The
> other two possible solutions (static IP and fixing system network) sound
> reasonable, but I don't know how to do either! My ISP dynamically assigns my
> IP each time I connect, so not sure how I would make a static IP - or would
> it be be one of the 192.168.0's....etc? Thanks.

(some whacky failed mail quoting above attempting to fix top posting...)

The IP address your ISP gives you should have nothing to do with the IP
addresses /inside/ your own network. The two are separated by a router/firewall.
You *do* have a router/firewall? Inside your home network the hosts are assigned
whatever IP addresses you choose, usually within the 192.168.x.x ranges.

To change from dynamic allocation to fixed you will need to go to "Network
Settings" or whatever your distribution calls it. Change the setting from
"Automatic" to "Manual" and fill in the fields as required. As you only have one
box almost any value will do: 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
will give you a valid address. Once you restart go to mythtv-setup and put that
same address in both the backend address and the master server address.

Once you have all three pointing to the same place you might get somewhere. Oh.
Then you have to fix mysql...

--

Mike Perkins