[mythtv-users] OT: Mini-pci express tuner advice

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:28:30 UTC 2013

On 3 January 2013 16:16, Calum Chisholm <calum.chisholm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I recently bought an Acer Aspire Revo to use as a combined frontend
> and secondary backend. It has two free mini pci-express slots, at
> least one of which I would like to use for a DVB-T tuner. I currently
> have a chunky Hauppauge USB tuner hanging precariously out the back of
> the machine which I would like to retire.
>
> The mythtv hardware database[1] breaks down hardware by bus type, but
> doesn't differentiate between the various form factors, so
> unfortunately isn't of much use in this case.
>
> Linuxtv.org[2] lists 3 pretty obscure and/or expensive cards, and I
> was wondering if anyone had any alternative suggestions. I can't
> really justify paying €90 + p&p[3], particularly when there are many
> much cheaper cards listed on eBay - assuming that any of them are up
> to the job.
>
> I've read that some of these bargain cards are really USB tuners with
> the PCI-e <--> USB adapter built-in, so I'm hopeful that there's
> something out there for which there's already driver support.
>
> Any suggestions, thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Calum
>
> ---
>
> [1] http://smolt.mythtv.org/
> [2]
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_PCIe_Cards#DVB-T_PCIe_Mini_Cards
> [3]
> http://sundtek.com/shop/Digital-TV-Sticks-oxid/Sundtek-MediaTV-MiniPCIe-DVB-CT-FM-AnalogTV.html

i cant really be of much help, but i'd say that the ammount of miniPCIe
tuner cards out there must be countable on one hand - have you tried seeing
whats available and then seeing if its supported by the v4l project?
in my limited experience, you maybe able to zoom in on the miniPCIe card to
see what chip it uses and see if it has a linux module for it. it's worked
out for me in the past using this method, but not sure if thats luck or
something more reliable.