[mythtv-users] an easier way to create "friendly" names for converted files

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Thu Jan 3 13:50:19 UTC 2013

On 1/3/2013 3:15 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/03/2013 02:06 AM, Bob Long wrote:
>> Larry Roberts wrote,
>>
>>> My end goal is to get a couple of daily recordings converted to a roku
>>> compatible format with friendly names for my wife to watch on the roku
>>> in our bedroom.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Are you aware of http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl ?
>>

> And, if you're trying to remove the recording or move it to Video
> Library or something, you can copy those "links" to the drive while
> dereferencing the links (using cp -L or--my preference--rsync -avL
> --progress) and you'll have a bunch of files with the desired names...
>
> Note that you shouldn't change the name of recordings, though, if
> you're leaving them in Watch Recordings.  So, if you want "friendly"
> file names for recordings, either use mythlink.pl links to the
> named-by-MythTV recordings or move the recordings out of Watch
> Recordings and put them in Video Library (where Video Library is
> simply the location where user-managed video is stored).
>
> Mike
Definitely aware of mythlink as I use it to to interface with airvideo.
It was a great find at the time and something my kids use every night.
to stream videos to the iPAD.

Maybe its just my understanding of how the user job operates and stores
information but how do I tell mythlink to create links to those newly
converted .m4v files?  I didn't see a way to specify the directory the
files were in.  I believe it gets that info directly from the DB and
from what I can tell only did the original file.  I run mythlink every
30 minutes to update recording information and I cant find a link to the
newly created .m4v file.