[mythtv-users] Good card to buy for Comcast

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 00:01:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Scott Simpson
<scottsimpson1240 at comcast.net> wrote:
> What is a premium channel? HBO or CNN? I want to be able to record CNN
> (which I get without paying) but I don't care about HBO.

In Comcast land, the premium channels (which are marked
copy-once, and cannot be recorded directly by DVR solutions
that are not certified by CableLabs) are currently the usual
suspects of HBO, Showtime, Starz, and various others of
that ilk.  So CNN (and most other cable channels) can be
record by MythTV on Comcast (and some other providers).

> I guess we could say you can't record premium channels UNLESS you record the
> output of your cable tuner box (which requires an IR blaster and which I'm
> not going to do).

Right, a common solution for the channels that are marked
as copy-once (the premiums for Comcast, almost everything
for some other providers) is to use the analog capture capabilities
of something like a HD-PVR.

Gary