[mythtv-users] NFS mount problems

Kevon mythtv at reidsresidence.com
Tue Jan 1 22:27:15 UTC 2013

On 01/01/2013 04:48 PM, Mark Pennock wrote:
> I am trying to mount a remote directory for my videos folder and I cant get
> it to work. The problem is that when I mount it the owner and group get
> changed to pulse  rtkit, respectively. I can't figure out why this is
> happening.
>
> I am using webmin to do the mounting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The owner and group will be based on the uid and gid respectly, which
will reflect what is set on the remote directory. Therefore, if the
remote system has the user set to myth with uid 100, the local system on
which you are mounting the directory should have the same user
assignment. However, if the local system has the user pulse with uid
100, then the directory will be listed with pulse as the owner. Run `id
<id name>` or check /etc/passwd for assigned uid and check /etc/group
for the list of assigned group ids on both systems.

You can change the uid and gid with the usermod command. Note, if you do
change the uid or gid, you will need to update all the current files
owned by the user to the new uid and gid (I think the files in the $HOME
are changed automatically, but you should check the man pages to
confirm). The commands:
find / -uid <uid num> -xdev -exec chown <user> '{}' \;
find / -gid <gid num> -xdev -exec chgrp <group> '{}' \;

(-xdev is used to prevent descending to directories on other
filesystems. If you do not have any NFS filesystem mounted and you are
sure you want to check all local filesystems, then remove -xdev)