[mythtv-users] Video is behind audio, dropping frames to catch up (VDPAU, HD content)

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Feb 28 18:13:40 UTC 2013

On 28/02/2013 17:59, Joseph Fry wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org
> <mailto:newmank1 at asme.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
>     <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
>         On 28/02/2013 15:39, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>             On 28/02/13 12:15, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>                 On 28/02/2013 12:01, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>                     On 28/02/13 08:23, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>
>                         On 27/02/2013 22:04, Thomas Börkel wrote:
>
>                             HI!
>
>                             I have now tried many things, but I am
>                             running out of ideas.
>
>                             * it happens usually every 2-10 minutes
>                             * it happens for HD h264 and SD MPEG2, just
>                             for HD a little more often
>                             * it happens with and without VDPAU
>                             * it happened on old and upgraded hardware
>                             (only sound card identical)
>                             * it happens on 0.26 and earlier versions
>                             * I have tried all VDPAU profiles
>                             * I have disabled logging over NFS (> /dev/null)
>                             * I have enabled realtime prio (but it is
>                             not mentioned in the log)
>                             * I have reniced mythfrontend to -2 and X to -12
>                             * I have set the GPU to max. frequency all
>                             the time, so no switching
>                             * I have disabled the often crashing
>                             mythlcdserver
>                             * I have tried different kernel and NVidia
>                             driver versions
>
>                             What else can I try? What more info should I
>                             provide?
>
>                             Probably, something needs a little CPU time
>                             every now and then and
>                             this
>                             probably causes that little "jump" in
>                             playback and the log entry from
>                             the subject, but I don't know what it is and
>                             why MythTV is so
>                             sensitive
>                             on such hardware specs (Core i3, 3.1 GHz)?
>
>                             Or does it probably have something to do
>                             with the fact that this is a
>                             diskless PXE frontend?
>
>                             Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
>

>                         None of the myth systems I've built have ever
>                         synchronized AV
>                         correctly.
>                         I've always had to pause and unpause every now
>                         and then to regain sync
>                         and even then it's to get it to a consitentish
>                         100ms which I then
>                         correct within my AV receiver. It's odd, because
>                         every other player
>                         I've
>                         tried with my recordings or downloads show them
>                         correctly in sync.
>
>                     My diskless PXE frontend has never had problems with
>                     AV sync. I use NFS
>                     to mount the root but not for media directories. On
>                     the other hand, my
>                     sound comes out the TV. Perhaps it is the "AV
>                     receiver" which is the
>                     common variable?
>

>                 I have wondered that. I will test, although several of
>                 the myth systems
>                 I was referring to were connected direct to speakers,
>                 and the sync was
>                 always variable and depended on the last user command. I
>                 think my
> [...]

Yeah, but it seems constant with the Blu-ray. I adjusted it via the AV
receiver and it seems fine. With Myth, I have also adjusted it, but I
still need to pause and unpause every now and then when it falls out of
sync.

Also I had this problem back when I was using analogue audio and a
CRT TV. Of course, it is possible that there was a problem with mythtv
back then, which is now fixed, and my current problem is the AV
receiver or TV, but then why the variation over time, and not
with the blu-ray player.

Cheers,
	Paul.