[mythtv-users] Video is behind audio, dropping frames to catch up (VDPAU, HD content)

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Feb 28 16:05:03 UTC 2013

On 28/02/2013 15:39, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 28/02/13 12:15, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> My diskless PXE frontend has never had problems with AV sync. I use NFS
>>> to mount the root but not for media directories. On the other hand, my
>>> sound comes out the TV. Perhaps it is the "AV receiver" which is the
>>> common variable?
>>
>> I have wondered that. I will test, although several of the myth systems
>> I was referring to were connected direct to speakers, and the sync was
>> always variable and depended on the last user command. I think my
>> current frontend may be pretty much ok when I'm not using different
>> screen modes for different video resolutions, but I'm not sure of that.
>> Need to do more testing.
>>
>> What CPU are you running?
>>
> My current front end is one of these:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131663
>
> That outputs via HDMI. A previous incarnation had a C7 VIA chip which
> output using VGA and 3.5 mm stereo into the TV. No problems either way.

Nice. Will that do HQ scaling and Advanced 2x deinterlacing? Maybe I
should upgrade. In any case, you are using an Atom too, so the A/V
sync problem isn't down to processing power.

Just realised that with my current set up, it will be difficult to
remove the AV receiver: it's my only AMP, and the TV has no speakers.
I can try moving to HDMI audio from spdif again, but last time I
tried that it made sync worse. I never have sync problems with
my blu-ray player, so I sort of doubt it is caused by the amp,
but I'd like to rule it out. I guess I just need to borrow a little
mobile speaker from someone.

BTW, do you know what the "playback details" display measures A/V
sync in?

P.