[mythtv-users] Video devices on recent kernels

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 19:56:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing some kernel upgrades on my backend machines, and I'm having
> problems getting some of my video devices to appear with new locally-built
> kernels. In particular:
>
> 1) My master backend includes a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500, but I
>    can't seem to find an IVTV driver option for the 3.7.9 kernel I'm
>    trying to compile. The source files seem to be present in the
>    source tree, but I can't seem to find an option to make them
>    compile, and when I boot into the new kernel, the /dev/video*
>    files for the WinTV-PVR 500 are missing.

I know that one works since I am using it under gentoo. However its
been quite some time since I have messed with the .config. I just use
the one from the previous install.

jmd0 ~ # zgrep IVTV /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_VIDEO_IVTV=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_IVTV_ALSA=m

jmd0 ~ # uname -a
Linux jmd0.comcast.net 3.7.9-gentoo-jmd0 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 26
22:15:46 EST 2013 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

John