[mythtv-users] Video devices on recent kernels

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Wed Feb 27 19:49:55 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 12:45 PM, Rod Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing some kernel upgrades on my backend machines, and I'm having
> problems getting some of my video devices to appear with new locally-built
> kernels. In particular:
>
> 1) My master backend includes a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500, but I
>     can't seem to find an IVTV driver option for the 3.7.9 kernel I'm
>     trying to compile. The source files seem to be present in the
>     source tree, but I can't seem to find an option to make them
>     compile, and when I boot into the new kernel, the /dev/video*
>     files for the WinTV-PVR 500 are missing.
>
> 2) My slave backend has a pcHDTV HD-3000, but I can't seem to find
>     a way to compile the CX88 drivers that it requires. As with the
>     WinTV-PVR 500 on my frontend, the /dev/dvb/* device files don't
>     appear when I boot into a 3.7.9 kernel. I see various CX88
>     files in the kernel source tree; I just can't find a way to
>     activate them for compilation.
>
> Both of these devices work fine with my old kernels (3.3.2 on the frontend,
> 3.5.7 on the backend); I just can't figure out what's required to get them to
> actually compile, and they've been deselected when I copied my old .config file
> and did "make oldconfig". There have been a lot of changes in the setup for
> video capture devices recently, so I'm guessing I'm missing something. I've
> Googled on this, but I've not turned up anything useful -- just old instructions
> and links to kernel source files.
>
> Can anybody provide me with pointers for how to get these drivers to compile
> with 3.7.x kernels? Thanks.

I don't know about the HD-3000, but the driver for the PVR500 is
CONFIG_VIDEO_IVTV. In 'make menuconfig' or 'make xconfig', you will find it
under Device Drivers => Multimedia support => Media PCI Adapters => Conexant
cx23416/cx23415 MPEG encoder/decoder support. I also turn on the two options in
that section.

Larry