[mythtv-users] .25 mythtranscode copy over in .26 failing after upgrade

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Tue Feb 26 16:35:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to take another approach at this rather than try and
> resurrect mythtranscode?  Would it be possible to pass a command to
> something like handbrake to do the transcode but keep the recording
> still in Recorded Programs rather than moving it to Mythvideo?

I'd love to see a solution like this.  Handbrake (and similar
projects) are highly mature transcoding solutions, and it seems like
mythtranscode is struggling to be adequate.

Cutlists would be a problem though - I don't personally need them as
long as the breaks are marked in the new program.  However, having
mythtranscode do ONLY lossless transcoding while respecting cutlists
would make it a good front-end to other transcoding solutions where
everything else could be manipulated.

I don't know if mythtv is less fussy about keyframes than it used to
be.  I know in the past the player would assume that keyframes were
evenly positioned every 15 frames or so, and the seektable stored
framenumber/keyframerate instead of just frame numbers as a result.
That is bound to make transcoding more painful and less efficient -
you can't stick the keyframes on scene changes.  Fixed keyframes do
not make as much sense on seekable media as they do in broadcast.  Now
that mythvideo has a reasonably robust internal player I'd think we
should be close to lifting this limitation (it obviously has to cope
with irregular keyframe intervals).

Rich