[mythtv-users] Have to start shows twice -- database problem???

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 01:42:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> I see no reason to replace your hardware, unless there is a must have
> feature your lacking.  If you have older hardware that works great, most
> likely it would only work better with a new os on it.
>
> If your performance concerns are all you want to address, and you want to
> see if faster hardware will make a difference here are the things I would
> look at first:
>
> 1: Add more RAM and increase the memory usage of mysql to make DB queries
> faster (may be able to do this without adding more ram?)
>    Why?  Because it's possible that your playback problems are the result
> of slow queries against the seek table.
> 2. Add an SSD as  your system/DB drive
>   Why?  Again, faster DB queries could make playback start more quickly?
> 3. Add additional recording drives.
>   Why? If you have more drives, you will decrease fragmentation because
> they system will not be writing as many streams to the same drive at the
> same time.  Also, it may reduce seek times and general drive thrashing in
> situations where recording and playback are occurring simultaneously.
>
> One other thing that you might do, I know I intend to once I have a few
> bucks to spend, is use an SDD as your primary recording drive, and set a
> cron job to move recordings to a different drive (storage group) after a
> few days.  The advantage here are:
> 1. SSD isn't as effected by fragmentation (no seek time)
> 2. Moving completed recordings to magnetic media prevents fragmentation
> compared to recording directly to it (filesystem can locate contiguous
> blocks before writing)
> 3. Magnetic drives can spin down because they will only be used when
> watching shows that weren't recorded recently
>
> You might try something like the above before resorting to major software
> or hardware upgrades.
>
> Good luck.
>

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Mike Perkins <
>> mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

>>> upgrade your OS then you'll likely find that things you had to wrestle with
>>> back in the day just work 'right out of the box' now.
>>>
>>> My advice: don't upgrade. Take this as an opportunity to rethink your
>>> whole setup. After all, the last time you did this was 0.21, right? Look at
>>> new motherboards. You'll probably find a new one that will be cheaper and
>>> take half the power (or less) while giving you the same (or more) grunt.
>>>
>>> The newest versions of operating system will likely make your life
>>> easier as well. Case in point: Xorg, which now does much of the
>>> configuration by itself, meaning you don't need to (for most of us..
>>> there's always one or two!).
>>>
>>> You shouldn't even need to set up your remote again, unless it *all*
>>> runs through your myth system. The new myth instance is all that should
>>> need to re-learn your IR commands, after all. Did I mention that Infra-Red
>>> handling is now different in the newer kernels?

> [...]
I really don't have performance complaints, just that the system no longer
works correctly.  Often when I start a show, myth will sit there for a
minute or two with a blank screen, then come back to the menu where I can
then select the show again and it plays instantly.  Plus, a show I stopped
in the middle will not resume. It will do the same thing, waiting a long
time and come back with no longer showing the play from... option.  It
worked fine for many years but quit working correctly about a year ago.

Allen