[mythtv-users] Video is behind audio, dropping frames to catch up (VDPAU, HD content)

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Sun Feb 24 19:12:48 UTC 2013

HI!

I am seeing this lately more often, also visible by short "jumps" in
playback:

Video is 3.20623 frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up.

The system is:
* Core i3 3.1 GHz
* 4 GB RAM
* NVidia GT 430, PCIe x16
* kernel 3.5.7
* Gentoo 32 bit, up-to-date
* MythTV 0.26 fixes (20130207)
* VDPAU High Quality playback profile (Advancedx2 deint)

It happens during watching 1080i h.264 content. CPU is almost idle
during playback.

The system should be capable enough for 1080i VDPAU HQ, I guess.

Because it just happened more often towards the end of a recording, I
thought about thermal throttling on the GPU. But the GPU has about 50
degrees Celsius, which should be way below throttling.

The GPU uses adaptive clocking and runs at full speed all the time
during HD playback.

What else could that be?

I just upgraded a few days ago from 0.23.1 to 0.26 and I *think* it
happens more often now. But I do have HD content to watch only since 3
weeks...

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thomas