[mythtv-users] Mythmusic can't save playlist

Scott Harris scott.harris0509 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:39:53 UTC 2013

>Hi there,
>
>Ok... recently I noticed that my main mythmusic playlist seems to
>repeat itself a lot more often than it used to. Upon investigation I
>noticed it only has about 100 tracks in it, as opposed to the 500+ it
>used to.
>
>No problem, I thought, and set about rebuilding the playlist. I then
>told it to save to existing playlist and saved it to the normal
>everyday playlist.
>
>When I restarted Mythmusic, it was... well, not back to the previous
>100 track thing, it now had 120 tracks.
>
>No problem, I thought, I'll just make a new playlist. So I removed all
>tracks, and spent the better part of an hour remaking my playlist.
>
>I then hit Menu -> Playlist Options -> Save To New Playlist... and
>nothing happens. No prompt, nothing in the logs.
>
>Yeah, I should've tested before I spent that time, but... help?...
You don't indicate what verison of MythTV which would be rather helpful.
However, the current version of MythMusic ridiculously only saves such
things as playlists when MythTV exits (the original dev of MythMusic
0.26 no longer works on the project has acknowledged this is a bit silly
and has a fork which fixes this (among all lot of other complaints about
the current incarnation of MythMusic)....which apparently isn't worthy
of being merged into the main code....as I understand it).

To make matters worse, the only acceptable way to exit MythTV to have
that save be done is to "Exit->Yes Exit MythTV" any other method "Yes,
Exit and shut down", "Yes exit and reboot", etc apparently does not shut
down MythTV "properly" so the MythMusic stuff does not get saved.  This
of course confuses most people because it's a function being executed
from within Myth, not some voodoo we've concocted so we can't really
understand why it shouldn't "just work" as Linux likes to claim.

Anyways, to end this long story.  Make you changes, exit to the main
menu.  Press esc, choose "Yes, Exit MythTV", restart MythTV and your
changes should persist.  Simple, right?