[mythtv-users] mythlogserver fixes/0.26 OS-X?

dgktkr xdrcft at sonic.net
Fri Feb 22 01:04:30 UTC 2013

> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 09:11:53 -0500
> From: Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythlogserver fixes/0.26 OS-X?
>
> Doesn't that still leave the issue that, on exit, the parent seems to
> hang until the child exits (ie 5 minutes, at best)?  Eg, launch
> mythtv-setup, which launches mythlogserver (no --daemon flag), do
> whatever, exit mythtv-setup.  For me, mythtv-setup waits until
> mythlogserver times out (or I kill it) before returning control to
> the terminal.  I believe if I were to launch another Myth program,
> the shutdown timer on mythlogserver would be cancelled and the
> original parent process would continue to be frozen.
>
> On OS X, is the easiest workaround to make the shutdown timer
> effectively zero?  (Looks to me like there are two places that need
> to be patched in libmythbase/loggingserver.cpp.)
>
> All the testing I've done has been with mythtv-setup as I don't have
> a complete 0.26 test system, yet.
>
> Craig

It does, indeed, appear that interesting things are going on with the way Myth handles mythlogserver :-(

MythTV-Setup.app behaves similarly on my setup. When I hit the escape key, the fullscreen MythTV-Setup window goes away as it should, but the icon in the dock remains and Activity Monitor indicates the process is hung and not responding. After 5 minutes of no activity, mythlogserver's shutdown timer runs out and it quits, allowing MythTV-Setup to finally exit. If another Myth program starts (say, MythBackend) before the 5 minutes is up, then MythTV-Setup and mythlogserver delay their exit until 5 minutes has elapsed from the time MythBackend was terminated.

Interestingly enough, MythBackend.app behaves differently. It can be made to exit and leave mythlogsrver running. As with MythTV-Setup.app, I've arranged to have mythlogserver be included as part of the bundle, so the app can find it and start it automatically. When started from the command line, MythBackend exits cleanly about 2 seconds after hitting Ctl-C. In that case, it appears mythlogserver exits first. On the other hand, if MythBackend is started from the command line and quit using the Activity Monitor, then mythlogserver lives for another 5 minutes before it exits without intervention.

dgktkr