[mythtv-users] Overscan with nVidia drivers greater than version 300 - Example on wiki

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Feb 20 10:09:26 UTC 2013

On 20/02/13 03:16, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk <mailto:mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 19/02/13 21:08, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>         On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Jerry
>         <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com <mailto:mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com>>
>         wrote:
>
>             Hi all,
>
>             I stumbled upon this information when I was upgrading my
>             system to Fedora
>             18 yesterday.  With the newer nVidia drivers (greater than
>             version 300),
>             you can add a line to the Screen section of xorg.conf to
>             compensate for
>             overscan.
>
>             Brief instructions with an example are on the wiki:
>             http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/__Overscan
>             <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Overscan>
>
>             There is a link to the original nVidia README which you
>             might find useful
>             as well.
>
>             I hope someone finds this useful.  I've been trying to fix
>             overscan for a
>             few years now.  I haven't seen anything on the list about
>             this.  The
>             overscan on my television is quite extensive, and this
>             cleaned things up
>             nicely after about fifteen minutes of experimentation.
>

>         yah back to the commandline. the nvidia-settings method, while
>         it worked,
>         as often awkward on an htpc with no mouse.
>
>     You can always ssh in from another box.
>

> Not to use nvidia-settings i don't think. It wants to deal with $DISPLAY
> which will not be your TV screen.

I do most of my Myth-management in a window on a monitor.  When I want
to use the TV I restart the frontend and use the --geometry option.  I
do have the TV set for no-overscan but the overscan is still there.
This way the picture just fills the screen.  I haven't found a way to
run both displays at once, though.

##############
#!/bin/bash
# Run MythTV front end on display 0
# This is the HANNSG HG191A monitor on VGA

export DISPLAY=:0.0
mythfrontend
#!/bin/bash
# Run MythTV front end on display 1
# For Panasonic TX-L32E5B HDMI1 via DVI-I adapter
#
export DISPLAY=:0.1
#mythfrontend --geometry 1920x1080+0+0
mythfrontend --geometry 1860x1046+30+16