[mythtv-users] Several inputs

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:55:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 02/20/2013 11:10 AM, Chris Dennis wrote:
>
>> On 19/02/13 13:23, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> ...Note that changing the call sign will make that
>>> channel "different" for the purposes of "this channel" recording rules.
>>> However, you probably shouldn't be using "this channel" rules, anyway,
>>> so...
>>>

>> Why not?
>>

> Because if you want to watch a show, you shouldn't care which channel you
> record it from.  If you're using "this channel" rules, it's almost
> definitely as a hack rather than specifying what you really want.
>
> If you want only the new episodes, use a new episode filter or teach
> MythTV which old episodes you've seen (by marking them as Never Record).
>
> If you want only HDTV episodes, use an HDTV filter.
>
> (and so on).
>
> If you never want to record off the SDTV version of a channel for which
> you also have the HDTV version, why even configure the SDTV channel?
>
> Mike

Just to play devil's advocate:

My daughter likes to watch some PBS shows, which show on both PBS HD
channels, but also show on the SD PBS-Knowledge subchannel.  Often, the HD
channel versions are in HD, but aren't listed as such.  I don't want to
record the versions on the known-SD-only channel, but I also don't want to
not ever watch that channel.  What is the recommended way to record from
both the HD channels in this scenario?