[mythtv-users] Add or modify record filter definitions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 19 13:05:54 UTC 2013

On 02/19/2013 05:31 AM, jdoe wrote:
> I like to add or change some entries in the recordfilter table.
>
> I have some useful personal filters like for example "Avoid HD
> Channels" : "channel.name not like '% HD'" to prefer SD-Recording in
> case of low quality content.
> I add also the opposite "channel.name like '% HD'" because on my EPG
> the program.hdtv flag doesn't work well for all channels.
>
> I check the source and it looks like that that maximum of filters are
> limited to 12 (0-11 => the lower 12 bits of record.filter). I
> recognized also that I have to take care on my changes on every
> release update (dbver).
>
> Are there other thing I should take care on?
>
> Is it all in all a bad idea modify recordfilter by hand?

Yes.  AIUI, filters are (currently) built-in-only criteria to be set on
"regular" recording rules.  We will modify those filters over time
and--because the UI doesn't provide a means to change them--will expect
them to be as we created them.  We may eventually make them editable,
but the general idea was to make it easier for users to specify
frequently-used criteria without making it hard to create new rules
(i.e. without having too many options to choose from).  So, until the UI
allows you to edit them, you really shouldn't.

Custom recording criteria should instead be specified in custom
recording rules.  We /do/ have an approach that allows you to save
custom recording rule "example clauses" (which are used to build up your
custom rule).  In the Custom/Power Recording Rule editor, you can use
the save button to save your rule (or part of a rule) such that
selecting the name you give it in the example clause selector will
"type" that clause into your new rule for you.  If the example is
exactly right, leave it as is.  If not, simply go to the rule entry area
and edit it as appropriate (i.e. the "exact title" example clause uses
the title "Nova", so you would then edit that to provide the actual name
of the show you want to record).

Mike