[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV4 and Cisco/SA cable cards - Known Issue

Tom Culpepper tculpepp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:10:37 UTC 2013

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Tom Culpepper <tculpepp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So after a few days of back and forth with comcast trying to get my
> > CableCARD up and running in my InfiniTV I finally got someone who was
> > actually very helpful and may have my solution.
> >
> > It turns out there is a known issue (documented in the comcast database
> > anyway) with InfiniTV4 pcie and USB cards and all Cisco/Scientific
> Atlanta
> > cable cards.  Everything will activate and pair properly, but you will
> never
> > get a channel list.
> >
> > Comcast's official info on this says to open a ticket with Ceton and they
> > have the fix.
> >
> > I have a ticket open, but I haven't heard back yet.  I will update this
> as
> > to whether or not it was valid info.
> >
> > Just thought I would share some for anyone else beating their head
> against
> > the wall trying to make this work.
> >
> > -tom

> Uhh, sounds a bit fishy to me. I've been running my Ceton for nearly 2
> years on a "Cisco (Scientific-Atlanta)" cablecard without a problem.
> I've tested every version of the firmware, and every version of the
> driver except the latest.  I'd say it may be a Comcast specific issue,
> except that I know dozens of Comcast users who have had no problems.
> Could be that comcast rolled out a borked update, but I doubt it.
> Could be some other new issue, like maybe a Windows 8 specific
> problem.
>
> Almost sounds to me like a CSR had no clue what the problem was,
> decided your call was eating into his time to much, and found a
> creative way to make you someone else's problem. But I'll be curious
> to hear what Ceton says. If you don't get a response from them
> tomorrow, try contacting their inux at cetoncorp.com email address.
> They've always been pretty responsive.
>
> P.S. While it's possible he (or you) may have stated it incorrect, if
> it really is the case it's not getting a channel map, you can verify
> that. Go to the card's web interface, CableCard tab, and at the bottom
> is "Number of Channels" and Channel Maps Received". And if you click
> on the "Number of Channels" link, you can see the channel map data.
>

> --
> Ron Frazier

Ron
you could be right on that, I'm far from an expert.  What I can say for
sure is that the card was not getting a channel map (that was confirmed
several times from the card's interface page, it showed 0 channels and 0
channel maps)

Between now and when I sent the original message I have gotten the card to
work properly.  I managed to get the card installed temporarily in a
windows box and update the firmware on the card from 1.1.8.7 (What it came
with) for 1.2.2.6.  Once the firmware was updated I had a channel map
within minutes and all has been well since.

I did get a reply from Ceton asking me to run the card through the windows
diagnostic program, but since I didn't have the windows box around anymore
I had not replied yet.  I will contact them through their linux address and
try to run to ground if this was in fact an issue, or a comcast CSR
shifting blame.

Now that it is working, it's been a great card, although I am now trying to
work with comcast to change the 180 channels they have marked as copy once
(thanks for that scan tool by the way, I uploaded my results) back to the
copy freely they say they should be.

-tom