[mythtv-users] MythTV video output is degraded by Subsonic installation

F.B. Parker fbp.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 18:04:52 UTC 2013

Greetings

OK, this is a strange one - I have no idea what's happening here.

I have a MythTV 0.25-fixes BE/FE system running on a desktop PC with 3.1
GHz dual-core Athlon, 4 GB RAM, Mythbuntu 12.04, and an NVidia GT 430 video
card with VDPAU hardware video acceleration. The system is used primarily
as a MythTV system for TV recording (HDHR) and playback. It drives a
47-inch LG LED TV by HDMI. The video quality on MythTV HD playback is just
about perfect.

Then I installed Subsonic 4.7 ( http://subsonic.org ) on the same machine
last weekend. Subsonic is software that allows audio and video streaming,
and I use it mostly to stream audio to my workplace over the internet.

But the video quality during MythTV FE playback on the TV that's hooked
directly to the PC by HDMI was very noticeably degraded by the Subsonic
installation: I started getting very noticeable frame-tearing:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frame_display_timing

This had never happened before. I stopped the Subsonic service and I still
got tearing. Then I logged out and back in (I guess this restarts the X
window system but does not restart the Subsonic service). This took care of
it: no more tearing - the MythTV video on the attached TV was back to its
previous excellent state.

So Subsonic is somehow interfering with and degrading MythTV video playback
on the attached TV.

This process is 100% repeatable: launch Subsonic and the MythTV video
output is very noticeably degraded. Stop Subsonic, then log out and back
in, and MythTV video output on the attached TV is perfect again.

I have already posted this to the Subsonic forum several days ago, and I
got zero response. Are there any MythTV users out there who are also
running Subsonic on the same machine? If so, do you have degraded video
quality?

Any ideas what's happening here? Any chance that this might be fixed? Or a
workaround?

Thank you!

-FBP