[mythtv-users] Just wanted to say thanks!!!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 12 15:37:31 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 10:28 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>   OK, since we're all doing this:
>>> Recording Statistics
>>> Number of shows: 281
>>> Number of episodes: 8617
>>> First recording: Tuesday June 7th, 2005
>>> Last recording: Tuesday February 12th, 2013
>>> Total Running Time: 7 years 8 months 6 days 3 hrs 21 mins
>>> Total Recorded: 1 year 10 months 12 days 1 hr 56 mins
>>> Percent of time spent recording: 24%
>>>

>>> I am curious as to how the "percent of time spent recording" is
>>> calculated. I don't quite see how I could be approaching that high a
>>> percentage.
>>>
>> You recorded 1 year 10 months 12 days 1 hr 56 mins of video since you
>> first started running MythTV 7 years 8 months 6 days 3 hrs 21 mins ago =
>> approximately 2yrs out of 8yrs = ~25%...
>>

> And don't forget that this isn't calculated per tuner.  So your system
> probably wasn't recording for 6 hours a day, you simply average about 6
> hours worth of recordings every day.  So the "percent of time spent
> recording" could actually be well over 100%, if for example you recorded
> multiple channels around the clock.

Yes, and then you'd just have to use timestretch--and forego sleeping
and eating and ...--to make sure you could watch all that video.  :)

(As mentioned in my other post, we changed back to the simple algorithm
that ignores number of capture cards because the metric is meaningless
when you divide by capture cards (or tuners--which is worse, due to
virtual tuners)--as proven by the fact that your 20% statistic for one
HD-PVR you've had for a year would immediately drop to 10% when you
install a second HD-PVR.  Your system actually /did/ spend 20% of that
first year recording, but dividing by number of cards/tuners implies a
static system configuration, which few people have.  And, IMHO, even
though most users have multiple capture devices and record multiple
things concurrently, 20% is still 20%--it says about how much time you
would/will have to /spend/ watching TV to consume what you've recorded.

Mike