[mythtv-users] Anybody have any luck with older iMac and 0.25?

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 01:46:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an older iMac (white plastic) and since it's a Core Duo, the latest
> OS I can load onto it is 10.6. It ran 0.24 just fine, but won't run play
> back any video using the .25 binaries. The Sourceforge one sits at the
> "please wait" screen during the wizard, while the one from Avenard gives me
> a while screen. Audio works with both downloads. I've tried all video
> options in the wizard.
>
> This iMac has a Radeon X1600, and I installed a CrystalHD chip a while
> back when that was the new hotness. Not sure if that would cause any issues
> these days.
>
> Any ideas? I know it's kind of an old system with an old OS, and I'm using
> pre-built binaries, so there are lots of red flags, but I figured it was
> worth a shot. Thanks in advance.

I had multiple issues running mythtv on osx on this same mac mini model.  I
solved the issue by installing ubuntu on it.  It is setup to dual boot, so
if I ever needed osx, I can still boot to it.  However, it is booting linux
straight into the mythtv frontend most of the time.  HD playback works, but
on the borderline, some choppiness, mostly watching though.

The 2011 model of the mac mini seems to run mythtv 0.26 on osx fine.  There
are still some caveats like getting the MCE remote working and the theme to
 stick, some issues with liveTV.  However, my first few HD recording
playback seem to play fine.  LiveTV is semi working and crashes tuning to
some channels.  I am going to see if I can get it working correctly on osx
before I put ubuntu on it :)