[mythtv-users] aspect ratio of home video recordings in video library

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 01:20:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Saul A. Peebsen <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 17:22:36 -0600
> Jeremy Jones <jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am having trouble getting my home video files to display using the
> > correct aspect ration in mythtv.  The files should be displayed as
> > 16:9, but when played in mythtv they open as 4:3. I'm sure this is
> > due to something incorrect in the file itself, but for the life of me
> > I can't seem to make a change that tells myth the correct DAR.  I
> > tried sticking them in an mkv file and setting the DAR to 16:9 using
> > mkvmerge.  After doing so mkvinfo reports the resulting file as
> > having a DAR of 853x480, yet mythtv still shows it as 4:3.  Here is
> > the complete mkvinfo on the test file:
>
> I'm having the same issue, MPlayer scales MKV files correctly and
> MythTV does not.

oops.  I was very careful to not say that mythtv did something incorrectly,
but it looks like you may have slipped that one in there for me.

Just to be clear: I am asking for help in determining what I need to change
in my home video files so that mythtv will be able to determine the aspect
ration and scale that should be applied.

I move the files to my storage group using a script so changing the files
with a script is perfectly reasonable.  I don't want to loose quality or
increase the file size unnecessarily though.  I don't really want to
transcode, but I can if that will be the only way to get the display to
automatically show up correctly.