[mythtv-users] Problems with Hauppauge Nova-TD Dual Channel Diversity USB Stick (aka Elgato TD Diversity)

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Feb 8 13:44:33 UTC 2013

On 8 Feb 2013, at 14:09, John Pilkington wrote:

> On 08/02/13 09:12, Another Sillyname wrote:
>> I've had a to post a new ticket as the old one is locked.
>>
>> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11403
>>
>> On 8 February 2013 08:54, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Right Chaps
>>>
>>> It does appear to be that bug (I'll be re-opening it shortly)
>>>
>>> Running femon allowed me to get the device recognised but I can't get
>>> a 'stable' lock with any permutation of LNA on or off and femon
>>> running or not running while running the backend and then frontend
>>> trying to tune into a channel.
>
> To answer the question you ask on the ticket:  running femon is just a workaround for getting the tuner recognised initially.  After that it all works as normal, without femon, at least in my experience.  The existing ticket was closed because it's seen as an upstream problem, but it still causes anguish.
>
> And I should add to my comments on the 290e that the kmdl I'm using with the el6 kernel was last updated for driver changes in Nov 2011.  I would expect recent mainstream kernels to work without add-ons.

I am finding problems with the 290e in the standard Ubuntu 12.04 3.2.0 kernels though many kernel updates, I get periodic glitches in all recordings from this tuner. Upgrading to the 3.5.0 kernels in testing for the Ubuntu hwe package fixes the problem completely, alternatively I have tried running Ubuntu 12.10 also with 3.5.0 kernel which also works without problems.

A friend who runs a 290e also mentioned that the linux-media build script has also been bad for the 290e up until the last few months.

Andre