[mythtv-users] Problems with Hauppauge Nova-TD Dual Channel Diversity USB Stick (aka Elgato TD Diversity)

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 05:14:13 UTC 2013

I am doing a clean new build for a friend of mine and hit a strange
problem earlier tonight...

The server is a mini itx box so going to use a couple of Hauppauge
Nova-TD Diversity USB sticks that are spare, this is the TD version
with one 'normal' size antenna input and one mini connector that needs
an adapter.

Brand new clean install of Mint Mate 14 x64 and then myth from the
standard Ubuntu repos (can't remember the current version number,
sorry)

The USB device installs fine, gets detected in dmesg correctly, scans
and I can watch TV channels from in VLC without needing any
configuration at all.

However mythtv-setup can't find the devices reporting "unknown error"
when trying to select option DVB V3 (can't remember the exact wording)
in the cards drop down menu.

I've googled and can't see anything obvious

The devices are in the normal /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 path where
I'd expect to find them.

I didn't do a lsusb to check the version but to be honest this threw
me a bit as I've never seen this error before, the nearest I came was
some problems with a TBS card a couple of years back that was a driver
issue.

Is there a known problem/issue with this device to anyones knowledge?
Is there a fix/workaround?

As I'm doing this for a mate as a favour I don't want to end up
haviing to buy kit if I can avoid it, especially as the device works
under VLC without any issues.

I will look at the myth logs tonight when I go back but thought I'd
throw it up here to see if anyone could shed some insight before I get
there.

Thanks in advance.