[mythtv-users] MythBuntu Mythcommflag closed

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 04:22:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Josh Rosenberg <mythtv at desh.info> wrote:
>> I am also experiencing this; it's quite annoying.  I'm happy to
>> provide debugging info to anyone who would like to look at it.  Is
>> there a proper place beyond this list to report a bug?
>
> The mythcommflag "Failed with exit status 140" message usually
> indicates that mythcommflag has segfaulted.  If you capture a stack
> trace, you will usually find that it has crashed somewhere in the
> ffmpeg code, and this is strongly suspected to be a result of a glitch
> in the recording that the ffmpeg code doesn't handle robustly.  This
> behavior is present in the current Master, 0.26, and other earlier
> versions.
>
> The next logical question is, why then doesn't mythfrontend similarly
> crash during playback of such recordings?  The most likely reason is
> that mythcommflag initializes the decoder with a different set of
> flags/options for performance reasons, but perhaps there is a better
> explanation.
>
> Jim

Thanks, Jim.  Reading the list, I was beginning to suspect it was the
ffmpeg issue in 0.26 that people are seeing.  I was just confused at
first by the "mythtv backend setup has closed unexpectedly" messages
that Mythbuntu would throw when this happened - typically blaming
/usr/bin/mythpreviewgen.

It seems to happen only when transcoding recordings from my NBC
station: KNTVHD off Comcast QAM.