[mythtv-users] Channnel changing problems with HD-PVR & commandir

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Tue Feb 5 17:11:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:06 AM, Jason <jason at wkrp.com> wrote:

> **
>

> I have three HD-PVRs on my system running .26 Mythtv.  I have set udev
> rules up to tie down the devices to keep them from shifting on me.  I use a
> commandir with just using the command line interface commands to change my
> channels.
>
> The commandir scripts, which I have three of them, are set as follows:
>
>  for video0 - I don't have a sleep command before the channel change.
> for video1 - A 8 second sleep command before the channel change.
> for video2 - A 16 second sleep command before the channel change.
>
> The sleep command is used to prevent the three scripts from colliding with
> each other if 3 shows start at the same time.
>
> My problem is this will work fine for most of the time.  But then I get
> channels not changing properly on a couple of the HD-PVRs.  It seems to
> jump around a bit at random and then return to normal.  I can watch each
> tuner and change channels without any problems.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.  I wouldn't think the MythTV
> system getting channel lock on the channel would matter but could that be
> affecting it?
>
> This does seem to happen more at night and my system is relatively new so
> it is recording often catching old shows.  Could I just need to increase
> the sleep counts?
>
> I also don't have a pretune channel set.  Just the starting channel is set.
>
> Thank you for any input.
>
> Jason Portwood
> jason at wkrp.com

I have a CommandIR II and about 6 months ago I switched to use
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LircChannelChanger It supports locking so you
don't need a sleep command to avoid collisions. I still occasionally have
problems with 3 digit channels (for example, last weekend intended channel
162 recorded channel 12 instead) so I'm still tweaking the delays. The only
thing that might improve it is if it supported the native CommandIR
settransmitters-#, since CommandIR claims that's more reliable than the
irsend's SET_TRANSMITTERS (I could hack the script for that I suppose...)

Karl