[mythtv-users] Problems with KnoppMyth profile for Harmony remote?

Scott Simpson scottsimpson1240 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 13:12:43 UTC 2013

On 02/02/2013 07:34 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/2/2013 18:29, SCOTTSIMPSON1240 wrote:
>> I'm trying to set up my Logitech remote using the instructions
>> at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup. I believe
>> that the KnoppMyth profile from Logitech is broken (I have a Harmony
>> 720).
>>
>> In the Logitech software on my Windows computer I added the device
>> KnoppMyth per the instructions. Before I add the device to any
>> Activities, I go to Settings->Customize Buttons and I see two columns:
>> Button and Command. All the Command pull down are empty. I think they
>
> There is no such thing as a "KnoppMyth" profile, as there is no such
> thing as a "KnoppMyth" IR receiver.  All you're seeing in the Harmony
> software is some configuration some user set up for their KnoppMyth
> system, that ended up getting pushed to the global database.
>
> 2. Find a profile in the Harmony software that matches that receiver, or

OK, I can do this, but the information at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup is now wrong.
Worse, it (and the Logitech setup software) is misleading and wrong and
now a task that should take minutes will take much longer. It seems that
between the time that
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup was written
and now, Logitech has screwed up their MythTV entry and invalidated the
wiki. This is a shame and the easiest solution would be to have Logitech
fix their database but I imagine with the inertia of large companies,
this won't happen.

I don't think the page
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Logitech_Harmony_Generic_Setup should be
abandoned. The diatribe on the Logitech remotes is really good (and I
learned that you can switch devices without powering them all off and
the person that wrote it has a good discussion of the period key). For
now I'll find a profile that works but has a funny name (I'll think I'll
try Karl's STR-DA5300ES entry) and go from there. (I'm using an
Iguanaworks IR receiver so I recompiled atrpms lircd which doesn't have
Iguanaworks support).