[mythtv-users] Missing fonts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 2 16:16:18 UTC 2013

On 02/01/2013 05:59 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 01/02/13 22:25, SCOTTSIMPSON1240 wrote:
>>
>> CentOS 6.3, ATrpms
>>
>> I keep getting messages like
>>
>> 2013-02-01 14:18:20.341350 E MythFontProperties: Failed to load
>> 'Thorndale',
>> got 'DejaVu Sans' instead Location:
>> /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter/base.xml @ 1081 Name: 'medium' Type:
>> 'fontdef'
>>
>> What package am I missing to correct this? Thanks.
>>
> We all get those. It seems that the people who create the various
> themes somehow
> think that, despite the fact mythtv runs on Linux, that we all have
> Windows
> fonts installed.
>
> The message just means that the font mechanism found a suitable
> substitute.

FWIW, most of the current themes--especially those updated since MythTV
began allowing themes to ship their own fonts--tend to use open-sourced
fonts that they are able to distribute with their theme to prevent any
issues.  Old themes--including MythCenter--don't.

That said, if you don't install (to allow the theme to use) the font for
which the theme was designed, text will likely fail to fit in the areas
provided for it.

I'm hoping to get some time to get the last 3 themes (MythCenter and its
wide version and Terra) moved out of the MythTV repository and into the
MythTV-Themes project, where we can allow a team of users to work on the
theme directly.  So, if you really like MythCenter and are willing to do
some work to update it and make it better (like,
redesign/resize/reposition elements to allow use of Free fonts), let me
know and I'll bump up the priority on that project and see if I can get
it moved soon.

Mike