[mythtv-users] REMINDER: Back Up Your Database.

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 04:12:56 UTC 2013

On 12/30/13, 10:49 PM, Andrew C. (AFPup) Stadt wrote:
> On 30/12/13 10:38 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>> Every night.
>>
>> My personal recommendation, to avoid WAF crashes like the on another
>> poster
>> is impaled on, is to run the mythconverg_backup.pl script from cron
>> every day
>> at 4am, and then *copy the created backup file to every spinning
>> drive you
>> have installed on your machine*.  That way, if you ever have to
>> restorr, you
>> have 3, 4, (5, 6, 7... :-) chances to have a good copy, and you don't
>> care
>> which drives might not be mounted at the time.
>>
>> Make it your New Year's Resolution.  Go check now: do you have a current
>> backup of your DB?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -- jra
>>
> In my case, it runs at 0245 hrs, at 0300 hrs gets picked up by the
> system incremental backup, and 0430 gets an additional copy rsync'd to
> another machine.
>
> Been where the other poster has been :-)

Been where the other poster has been at home and worse, at two places I
worked at that failed to backup files that were later found to be important.
Since then, I backup, that backup gets scooped into another backup *and*
as Andrew does, a backup goes to another networked server.

Good old joke that is true:
How do you backup a SAN?
To another SAN.