[mythtv-users] Kernal messages gone crazy - mythbuntu 10.04

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 12:14:22 UTC 2013

On 12/28/2013 12:07 PM, tortise wrote:
> Hi
> My box has been crashing recently, ran out of space on my OS drive I
> think, I noted the logs (syslog, kern.log, messages are approaching 5 GB...
>
> messages seem to recycle thru USB ports thus:
>
> Dec 28 23:55:24 mythtv0 kernel: [18522.574125] lirc_mceusb[2]:  on usb8:2
> Dec 28 23:55:24 mythtv0 kernel: [18522.574161] usb 8-1: USB disconnect,
> address 2
> Box is running mythbuntu 10.04 and 0.25.
> I've made some space on my OS drive, but clearly there is some issue,
> possibly from a routine upgrade?
> Can anyone give me a pointer from here please?

This problem is not due to a lack of disk space (although these log
messages might be causing your disk to fill up).

You have USB devices which are disappearing and reappearing in rapid
succession. This could be caused by any number of things, but I'd start
by looking at USB cabling. If you have a physical USB hub, try plugging
it into a different motherboard port. Try replacing the cable. Repeat
with all of your USB devices and cables.

If the hub is powered, is its power supply properly plugged in?

Try taking the hub out of the equation by plugging equipment that
currently malfunctions as above directly into the motherboard. Purely as
an experiment, you understand.

Sometimes adjacent USB ports share a current limiter. In these cases it
can help to change which ports each of your devices is connected to such
that devices that draw a lot of current are not plugged into adjacent ports.

HTH, Jan