[mythtv-users] Signal Issues and HDPVR

Matthew Latini matt.latini at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 15:45:08 UTC 2013

Good Morning,

I've been running Mythtv for several years now and it's been very reliable
overall. However, over the last couple of weeks I've noticed some glitches
with my cable signal through Time Warner. When viewing a program through a
STB plugged directly into the TV, this appears as a quick pixelation of the
video which lasts less than a second and doesn't really effect the
watch-ability of the program.

The problem is that when this occurs with a signal running through my HDPVR
and Mythtv the signal will drop for 1-2 seconds. The blue light on the top
and the red light on the front of the HDPVR will turn off and the Mythtv
backend logs report this as "HDPVR Device Error Detected". The recording
will successfully complete and plays back fine, but I will lose this 1-2
second portion of the recording, and there may be more than one location in
a given recording where this occurs.

So my thought is if there's a way to set a delay before the HDPVR gives up
(similar to what would be found in a channel change script to allow the STB
to tune and stabilize) I would at least have a workable solution while I
troubleshoot the quality of the signal, etc. If this is hardwired into the
device itself I figure I'm out of luck with that line of thinking.

Since this is a new phenomenon, I'm thinking I may have to end up working
with Time Warner tech support and that usually ends up being an exercise in
frustration and something I don't look forward to.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone can provide.

I'm running Mythbuntu 12.04.3 with Myth .27 fixes and I last updated on the
25 othf December.

Thanks!

Matthew Latini