[mythtv-users] Fanless + Low Profile + VDPAU Advanced, 2X Deinterlacing

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 20:54:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Martin Moores <moores.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, just for the archive, this card does not fit in the Microserver case, due to the heatsink.

I would bet one could do a little machining on the heatsink.
A good reason to get to your local machine shop and take
the milling machine for a spin.  What could possibly go
wrong?

> ....  Also, seeming some comments about the GT630 just being a
> re-branded older card, maybe not the best card to go for?  I do hate naming
> convensions, I can't keep up with any nVidia cards!

That is nVidia's intent.  As stated, the GT630 is a rebranded
GT440, which is really just an overclocked GT430.  But since
anything in the 6xx series is the thing to have (see nVidia
marketing), and a 6xx *must* be better than the 5xx (can
you say GT610 which is a rebranded GT520), and certainly
better than a 4xx, nVidia will simply rebrand to fill in their
6xx series offerings.

And, then there are the OEM offerings, which sometimes
use the same description, but are really different cards
than the retail ones.

The problem is that the HTPC crowd have a very specific
need (de-interlacing) for which the capabilities are not
always aligned with the usual (gaming) benchmark numbers
(the video decoding uses dedicated hardware on all
recent cards, and except for some new cases such
as 3D or 4K, all cards can decode any stream "more or
less" equally).  There are HTPC specific reviews from time
to time, but they usually are Windows only (and drivers
matter).